IU Cinema: To Be Takei—STANDBY ONLYAll tickets have been distributed for this screening. IU Cinema will recognize a standby line at 2 p.m. on Tuesday, September 19, and seat patrons as space is available. Patrons with tickets must be seated by 2:55 p.m. to be guaranteed a seat. A second event with George Takei will take place on September 19 at IU Auditorium: An Evening with George Takei. DIVERSITY ● DIFFERENCE ● OTHERNESS Actor George Takei is scheduled to be present.
This brisk, humorous, and sometimes poignant documentary presents a wide-ranging portrait of the jovial actor and activist George Takei, who spent four years of his childhood imprisoned in a U.S. internment camp for Japanese-Americans during World War II, starred in the groundbreaking role of Mr. Sulu in the original Star Trek series, and jumped out of the closet in 2005. Through a vibrant social-media presence, television interviews highlighting homophobia, and projects such as the Broadway play Allegiance, about Japanese-American internment and its long-term ramifications for one family, Takei has emerged as a leading civil-rights champion while he and his husband have become the poster couple for marriage equality. (2K DCP Presentation)
George Takei’s appearance is co-sponsored by the College of Arts and Sciences; Union Board; The Media School; the Arts & Humanities Council; and the Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs. Arrangements for the appearance of George Takei made through Greater Talent Network Inc., New York, NY.
- Tuesday September 19, 2017 03:00 PM
- Tuesday September 19, 2017 04:45 PM
- The Indiana University Cinema is located at 1213 E. 7th Street, Bloomington, Indiana. We are located at the East end of the IU Auditorium building. Our main entrance is on the North side, facing the Wells Library.
- Brittany D. Friesner
- Contact Email
- Free, but ticketed.
- More Contact Info
- Ticket info. 812-855-1103
- Other Info
- Tickets are required for all screenings. You can pick them up at the IU Auditorium box office M-F 10-4 or in the Cinema lobby 60 minutes prior to any IU Cinema screening.