IU CINEMA: Our Heavenly Bodies w/live music by CouplerSilent film with live accompaniment by experimental music organization Coupler.
In 1925, German director Hanns Walter Kornblum set out to create a film unlike any that had come before. His aim was a film that would serve as both a summation of all the astronomical knowledge available at the time and a dreamy investigation of what wonders might await humanity at the advent of space travel. With the help of 15 special effects technicians and nine cameramen, Kornblum’s film is a technical marvel, one that revels in the beauty and mysteries of the universe, reminiscent of Carl Sagan’s Cosmosmore than 50 years later.
Founded in 2012 by Lambchop veteran Ryan Norris, Coupler’s core is Norris along with Rodrigo Avendaño and Rollum Haas. At its root, the project is an exercise in mutual cooperation of creative individuals and is an exploration of the intersections of man and machine, live and recorded, composed and improvised, stasis and flux. Coupler’s score was commissioned by The Belcourt Theatre. Digital restoration by Filmmuseum München. (2K DCP Presentation)
- Thursday February 22, 2018 07:00 PM
- Thursday February 22, 2018 08:31 PM
- The Indiana University Cinema is located at 1213 E. 7th Street, Bloomington, Indiana. We are located at the East end of the IU Auditorium building. Our main entrance is on the North side, facing the Wells Library.
- Brittany D. Friesner
- Contact Email
- $4 all tickets.
- More Contact Info
- Ticket info. 812-855-1103
- Other Info
- Tickets are required for all screenings. You can pick them up at the IU Auditorium box office M-F 10-4 or in the Cinema lobby 60 minutes prior to any IU Cinema screening.