EXHIBIT: "Sisters of the Cloth: This is Our Story"
“Sisters of the Cloth: This is Our Story,” an exhibit exploring the lives of African American quilters will be featured at the Mathers Museum of World Cultures this spring. The exhibit will be presented in conjunction with the Indiana Heritage Quilt Show. The exhibit will present works that are individual reflections on what each member feels portrays her life. “Each one of us has taken different paths to become what we are today,” notes Margarita Jean-Baptiste, president of the guild. “Members will have the opportunity to represent themselves, and the audience that see our pieces will see the many stories of modern African American women.” The Sisters of the Cloth Quilting Guild was founded in 1999 and is located in Fort Wayne, IN. The guild’s motto, “Each One Teach One” is indicative of its twofold purpose: teaching the craft of quilting to all who are interested, and preserving the art of quilting for future generations. In 2012 the guild was invited to participate in the Smithsonian Folklife Festival, an annual event celebrating cultural traditions. “Sisters of the Cloth: This is Our Story” will be on display January 30 through May 6, 2018.
- Tuesday March 13, 2018 09:00 AM
- Tuesday March 13, 2018 04:30 PM
- Mathers Museum of World Cultures, 416 N. Indiana Ave., Bloomington, IN 47408
- Mathers Museum of World Cultures
- Contact Email
- More Contact Info
- Other Info
- Free visitor parking is available by the Indiana Avenue lobby entrance. Metered parking is available at the McCalla School parking lot on the corner of Ninth Street and Indiana Avenue. The parking lot also has spaces designated for Indiana University EM-P, EM-S, and ST permits. During the weekends free parking is available on the surrounding streets. An access ramp is located at the Fess Avenue entrance, on the corner of Ninth Street and Fess Avenue. Reserved parking spaces are available on Ninth Street, between Fess Avenue and Indiana Avenue. If you have a disability and need assistance, special arrangements can be made to accommodate most needs. Please call 812-855-6873.