IU CINEMA: Yellow Earth
Kaige’s debut film introduced the world to two of China’s most celebrated Fifth Generation filmmakers. The stunning cinematography was in the hands of Zhang Yimou (Raise the Red Lantern, House of Flying Daggers, Hero) and the film won the Silver Leopard Award at the Locarno International Film Festival. A Red Army soldier visits a northern rural village to collect folk songs to be adapted into propaganda. While staying with a family, the soldier’s idealistic political views begin to inspire the family’s daughter, who is betrothed to an older man. Time Out considered Yellow Earth “the first ‘modern’ film to emerge from China, and one of the most thrilling debut features of the ’80s.” In Mandarin with English subtitles.
- Sunday January 20, 2019 01:00 PM
- Sunday January 20, 2019 02:29 PM
- The Indiana University Cinema is located at 1213 E. 7th Street, Bloomington, Indiana. We are located at the East end of the IU Auditorium building. Our main entrance is on the North side, facing the Wells Library.
- Brittany D. Friesner
- Contact Email
- Free, but ticketed
- More Contact Info
- Ticket info. 812-855-1103
- Other Info
- Tickets are required for all screenings. You can pick them up at the IU Auditorium box office M-F 10-4 or in the Cinema lobby 60 minutes prior to any IU Cinema screening.