IU CINEMA: The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant
Inspired by the American melodramas of Douglas Sirk, Fassbinder began working in a new, more intensely emotional register. The film balances a realistic depiction of tormented romance with staging that remains true to the director’s roots in experimental theater. This unforgettable, unforgiving dissection of the imbalanced relationship between a haughty fashion designer and a beautiful but icy ingénue—based, in a sly gender reversal, on the writer-director’s own desperate obsession with a young actor—features exquisitely claustrophobic cinematography by Michael Ballhaus and full-throttle performances by an all-female cast. In German with English subtitles.
- Saturday January 12, 2019 07:00 PM
- Saturday January 12, 2019 09:04 PM
- The Indiana University Cinema is located at 1213 E. 7th Street, Bloomington, Indiana. We are located at the East end of the IU Auditorium building. Our main entrance is on the North side, facing the Wells Library.
- Brittany D. Friesner
- Contact Email
- More Contact Info
- Ticket info. 812-855-1103
- Other Info
- Tickets are required for all screenings. You can pick them up at the IU Auditorium box office M-F 10-4 or in the Cinema lobby 60 minutes prior to any IU Cinema screening.